As you get older, you may find that your hair just doesn’t have that “Va Va Voom volume anymore. Starting in your 20s, the number of hair fibers on your scalp can decrease significantly, in addition to the shrinking diameter of each strand.
But don’t fret – Estelle Baumhauer, the Color Director at online hair care provider eSalon.com, has a few tricks up her sleeve. “I have very fine hair myself, so I know some great ways to fake that body and volume you wish you had!” she says. Read on for ways to trick your hair into appearing thicker.
1. Bangs: Bangs can be a wonderful way to make your hair appear fuller. Cut them just above your eyes in a blunt or wispy style. (“Plus, they work double duty by hiding fine lines on your forehead!” Estelle says.)
2. Strategic layers: You may have heard that “face-framing” layers are a good idea, but don’t forget the underside of your hair. “Ask for the underneath layer to be ½ inch shorter than the top layer of hair, to get the appearance of full, thick hair,” says Estelle. Make the ends blunt to give hair more volume.
3. Short cut: “Keep your hair length above your shoulders to get the most volume out of it,” says Estelle. “Longer styles can weigh down thin hair, which makes it look even thinner.” Plus, when hair hits the shoulders, it breaks up and can appear extra thin. On the other hand, shorter styles can add the appearance of thickness.
4. Use mousse: Apply a volumizing or thickening mousse to your roots. “Mousse is better than a cream or oil because it’s light and won’t weigh down fine tresses,” Estelle recommends. Apply it to damp hair and comb through the ends to turn up the volume and body.
5. Easy on the heat: Blow drying can cause more wear and tear, which won’t do any favors for thin or fine hair. Instead, wait until hair is about 75% dry and then blow dry it the rest of the way. Here’s another trick: “Part your hair on the opposite side why you dry it,” suggests Estelle. “Then when you’re done, turn it back to the natural side and you’ll see some extra volume!”
6. Brush it right: Here’s one of Estelle’s favorite tricks for getting extra volume fast: “Use a bristle brush to brush your hair from roots to ends. Then, flip your hair upside down and brush from the base of your hair to the ends. Do this twice in the morning and at night and you’ll see amazing added volume in your hair!”
7. Add some color: When you apply color to your hair, the pigment can make your strands appear thicker. This can be a great way to add extra volume while also covering up those pesky grays. eSalon offers the best home hair color solution, and it’s already ruffling the feathers of hairstylists across the country.
Estelle says: “Outraged colorists tell me, ‘You’re going to put us out of business!’”
They’re outraged because eSalon provides high quality home hair color at an affordable price, under the guidance of salon professionals. And it’s nothing like the one-size-fits-all boxed hair color you get at a drugstore.
Instead, we provide custom blended hair color like you’d get in a salon. We use salon-grade ingredients that leave hair soft, shiny and provide excellent gray coverage. The personalized pigment even has your name on the bottle, because it’s made for you and no one else.
For the ultimate convenience, the order is delivered to your doorstep for under $20. Compare that to the $100-plus price tag local hairdressers charge!
Right now, first time customers can get a full color kit for just $9.95 (50% savings!) by visiting www.eSalon.com. Try it now!