You may come across that little Product Safety & Usage insert in your color order that says “Strand Test.” Have you ever wondered why companies recommend that? After all, shouldn’t the color already be perfect?
“We always suggest performing a strand test before you apply color allover – just in case!” says Estelle Baumhauer, the Color Director at innovative online hair color provider eSalon.com.
“This is a great way to preview the color on your hair. Then if you actually want it a bit darker, redder, or anything else, you can talk to us before you apply it, and we’ll work with you on a reformulation.”
Of course, it’s only effective if you do it the right way. To get your best strand test, follow these tips from Estelle:
- First put on gloves to protect your hands from the color.
- Choose a strand of hair for testing the color. It may help to use a strand that’s underneath or hidden when you usually style your hair.
- Separate this strand from the rest of your hair using clips.
- Open the color and developer bottles that arrived with your order. Pour 1 teaspoon of color and 1.5 teaspoon of developer into a container. Use a plastic utensil (not metal) to mix them well.
- Immediately reseal the color and developer bottles, to ensure they’re fresh when you apply the rest of the color later.
- Now, apply the combined color and developer mixture to the strand. Follow the coloring process as described in your Personal Instructions.
- After rinsing out the color, wait 24 hours. It can take this long for the color to settle fully.
- Now you can evaluate whether you are happy with the color results on the test strand. When you are, complete the full application on the rest of your head, following your Personal Instructions carefully.
The best way to color at home!
eSalon has colorists on stand-by to help you with any questions or concerns that come up when you color at home. And the new service is already ruffling the feathers of hairstylists across the country.
Estelle says: “Outraged colorists tell me, ‘You’re going to put us out of business!’”
They’re outraged because eSalon provides high quality home hair color at an affordable price, under the guidance of salon professionals. And it’s nothing like the one-size-fits-all boxed hair color you get at a drugstore.
Instead, they provide custom blended hair color like you’d get in a salon. They use salon-grade ingredients that leave hair soft, shiny and provide excellent gray coverage. The personalized pigment even has your name on the bottle, because it’s made for you and no one else.
For the ultimate convenience, the order is delivered to your doorstep for under $20. Compare that to the $100-plus price tag local hairdressers charge!
Right now, first time customers can get a full color kit for just $9.95 (50% savings!) by visiting www.eSalon.com. Try it now!