Frizzy hair happens when dry, porous hair absorbs moisture in the air. This makes the strands swell up and give you that uninvited frizz.
Expert stylist Estelle Baumhauer, the Color Director at online hair color provider eSalon.com, knows the best defense is a strong offense, so here are 8 professional salon tips to stop frizz before it happens:
- “Start with a deep conditioner that has extra moisturizing properties, because the solution to dry, frizzy hair is adding lots of moisture!” says Estelle. Leave it on your hair as long as possible in the shower.
- “Rinse hair with cold water in the shower,” Estelle says. “That cold water helps close the hair cuticle, which prevents it from frizzing up.”
- “When you dry your hair, don’t ruffle it up with a towel,” advises Estelle. “Instead, gently squeeze out water with an absorbent towel. Your cuticles will thank you!”
- “Apply leave-in conditioner to damp hair to keep it moisturized and smooth all day,” says Estelle. “This adds weight and discourages it from frizzing up.”
- “Try applying styling cream from roots to ends at night, then twist hair into a bun,” suggests Estelle. “In the morning, just run your hands through your hair and it should stay smooth all day.”
- “Avoid brushing hair when it’s dry,” says Estelle. With each brushing you encourage breakage in the hair cuticle, which causes those frizzy strands. Instead, comb through your hair when it has conditioner on it in the shower.
- “If you need to blow dry your hair, apply a heat-protecting spray to avoid heat damage,” Estelle recommends. “Angle the dryer downwards along the hair so it blows down the cuticle. Finish with the cool setting to smooth it down more.”
- “Limit the use of hair spray in your styling routine,” Estelle says. “Most hair spray contains alcohol, which can swell your hair cuticle and can cause frizz.”
About the experts
Estelle Baumhauer works with eSalon to provide high quality home hair color at an affordable price, under the guidance of salon professionals. It’s nothing like those one-size-fits-all boxed colors at the drugstore, where the picture shows you one thing but your hair reveals another!
Instead, eSalon offers custom blended hair color like in a salon, using only salon-grade ingredients so your hair will be soft, shiny, and have 100% gray coverage. The individualized color even has your name on it, because it’s made for you and no one else!
For the ultimate convenience, they deliver it right to your doorstep, and the color is under $20. That’s a far cry from the $100-plus of a salon visit!
The color even comes with a professional coloring brush, gloves, stain guard, stain remover, and shampoo & conditioner – in addition to the guidance of expert colorists. Plus to top it off, eSalon has a special offer for new customers: Get your first custom color kit for only $9.95* (a 50% savings!), with a satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
Click here to give eSalon a try and get in on this special offer!
*Plus $4.95 s&h