After you color your hair the perfect shade, the last thing you want is it to fade in a week. The best plan for long-lasting color: Proper maintenance. When you have color-treated tresses, washing isn’t just “rinse, lather, repeat.”
“Color molecules can actually escape from your strands, so you’ll need to pay attention to the way you’re washing your hair to make sure you slow down the fading process,” expert colorist Estelle Baumhauer, the Color Director at custom hair color provider eSalon.com.
Follow Estelle’s steps to maintain vivid color between applications:
1. It’s ok to wash your hair at the end of your color application. Some clients worry that shampooing will compromise their color coverage, but this is not the case. In fact, washing and conditioning your hair can help rinse color residue. Plus conditioning will moisturize your hair to make it healthier and help retain color.
2. After the initial wash, try not to shampoo your hair too frequently. Shampooing can contribute to making the color fade, especially if you have vivid or dark tones in your color (those tones tend to fade faster). 2-3 washes per week are usually a safe amount.
3. When you do wash your hair, use a color-safe, sulfate-free shampoo. Shampoo that’s designed for color-treated hair will be extra gentle and help prevent the color from fading or becoming dull.
4. Use only lukewarm water to shampoo and rinse your locks. Hot water can open up the hair cuticle and let the color molecules fade out faster. Play it safe and turn the temperature down a notch.
5. From time to time, you may need to remove product buildup. Residue on your scalp and hair from various products can make your hair appear dull or matte. But you can banish buildup with a good scalp treatment product, such as one containing tea tree oil.
6. Color treated hair needs extra moisture to stay healthy and vibrant. Apply a deep conditioning hair mask (once a week is good) for a boost of healthy hydration, which will help hold in color.
7. Use a high quality, long-lasting pigment, such as eSalon.com, to get the best results. eSalon makes it easy and affordable to get great hair color right at home. And it’s already ruffling the feathers of hairstylists across the country.
Estelle, eSalon’s Color Director, says: “Outraged colorists tell me, ‘You’re going to put us out of business!’”
They’re outraged because eSalon provides high quality home hair color at an affordable price, under the guidance of salon professionals. And it’s nothing like the one-size-fits-all boxed hair color you get at a drugstore.
Instead, eSalon provides custom blended hair color like you’d get in a salon. They use salon-grade ingredients that leave hair soft, shiny and provide excellent gray coverage. The personalized pigment even has your name on the bottle, because it’s made for you and no one else.
For the ultimate convenience, the order is delivered to your doorstep for under $20. Compare that to the $100-plus price tag local hairdressers charge!
Right now, first time customers can get a full color kit for just $9.95 (50% savings!) by visiting www.eSalon.com. Try it now!