Essential oil can be a wonderful treat for your hair and scalp. But do you know which is the best kind for you?
Why use oil?
Hair oil treatments are a great way to boost up the health and manageability of color-treated hair. Essential oils contain nutrients that penetrate the cuticle and nourish your scalp, all for healthier hair. Plus, they seal in color and shine.
Which should I use?
- Argan oil provides moisture and nourishment. It can be especially helpful on coarse, dry hair, and color-treated hair, because it contains beneficial vitamins for sleek, shiny, and healthy hair.
- Coconut oil can be used if you want to soften your hair and give your scalp extra moisture. It’s especially great for frizzy hair, because coconut oil strengthens your strands and protects them from the elements.
- Olive oil is a lightweight and nourishing oil that is great for dry hair and your scalp, plus it can help manage dandruff.
- Jojoba oil is great for moisturizing dry hair and adding nutrients to make it healthier. It can also double as a detangler.
- Almond oil, which is rich in vitamin E, can be used to soothe and moisturize a dry, itchy scalp.
- Tea tree oil can be used as a gentle way to remove product build up from your scalp.
- If your roots and scalp need some extra nourishment, try using rosemary oil for healthy hair growth. Cedarwood oil can also help promote scalp health and hair growth.
- Use lavender oil for a special deep conditioning treatment and to improve shine. Geranium oil can help strengthen hair. Sandalwood oil helps moisturize dry, split ends.
How do I use it?
In most cases, you’ll only need a few drops of oil to reap its benefits. One easy application is mixing a few drops of oil with shampoo and massaging it through hair. Another technique is simply applying it to dry hair or scalp and letting it sit for about 30 minutes or overnight, then washing it out.
Some oils – such as argan and coconut – can be used for daytime styling. If your hair is naturally oily, focus oil application on the ends to mid-length and avoid the scalp, where it can make hair look greasy. Just make sure that when you shampoo, remove the oil completely so it doesn’t build up in your hair.