Damaged hair is no fun, especially when you have annoying grays growing in and want to add some color.
Color expert Estelle Baumhauer, Color Director at eSalon, an online company that provides individually blended home hair color, shares her best tips to achieve beautiful tresses and prevent further damage:
- Trim: Get a trim to remove split ends before applying color. Trimming off the ends will help keep your hair healthier-looking.
- Hair mask: Apply a deep conditioning hair mask immediately before coloring. After letting it sit on your hair for the specified time, rinse it off and then apply the color right away.
- Gentle color: Use a demi-permanent color application on your hair because it will be less damaging. Once the damaged hair has grown out, you can move to a permanent application.
- Condition: Use an extra-hydrating conditioner regularly and deep conditioning treatments once a week to restore damaged hair. Plus, a leave-in conditioner can give an extra moisture boost in hot weather or for preventing further damage when styling.
- Protein: Try alternating weekly deep conditioning treatments with a protein treatment. Protein fills cracks in the hair cuticle to make it smooth, which makes the hair stronger and shinier. But be careful not to apply protein treatments more than once every 1 to 2 weeks, since it can make your hair feel brittle.
- Don’t lighten: Avoid lightening hair by over one or two shades because lightening involves processes that cause more damage to the cuticle.
- Roots only: When possible, do a roots-only application rather than an allover application. Applying more color to the previously colored sections will cause more damage to them.
- Sun protection: Protect damaged hair from the sun’s UV rays, which can break the cuticle and cause more damage. Before you go outside, apply a UV protective hairspray or wear a hat to cover your hair.
- Wait to color: If you hair is extremely damaged, it’s best not to apply any color to it. Instead, wait for the damaged section to grow out until you can color healthy hair.
- The right color: Use a hair color product that won’t cause additional damage to your hair. Some off-the-shelf brands are drying and may produce more damage. One online brand, eSalon.com, has professional colorists who review all your hair details before custom-blending a hair color just for you.
About the experts
Estelle Baumhauer works with eSalon to provide high quality home hair color at an affordable price, under the guidance of salon professionals. It’s nothing like those one-size-fits-all boxed colors at the drugstore, where the picture shows you one thing but your hair reveals another!
Instead, eSalon offers custom blended hair color like in a salon, using only salon-grade ingredients so your hair will be soft, shiny, and have 100% gray coverage. The individualized color even has your name on it, because it’s made for you and no one else!
For the ultimate convenience, they deliver it right to your doorstep, and the color is under $20. That’s a far cry from the $100-plus of a salon visit!
*Plus $4.95 s&h