The standard ponytail is the go-to way to pull your hair out of the way. But don’t get stuck in a rut with the same ‘do! Professional hairstylist Estelle Baumhauer, Color Director at eSalon.com, an online company that provides personalized, custom blended home hair color, shares 8 easy ways to fix a bad hair day on the fly:
1. High messy ponytail: Work mousse through damp hair to create natural volume and texture. Pull the hair to the crown of the head and secure into a high ponytail. Tease the hair in the ponytail to create extra volume, and finish with a spritz of light-hold hair spray.
2. High wispy chignon: Curl all your hair with a one-inch curling iron to get lots of volume and texture. Pull hair up into a high ponytail at the crown of the head. Wrap the tail loosely around the base to create a soft bun and secure with pins. Pull out face-framing pieces from the bun. Finish with light hair spray to hold the look.
3. Twisted classic ponytail: Make a deep part on one side of your hair. Twist the front section of hair away from the part, into a roll. Secure the section with pins on the side of the head. Pull back the rest of the hair into a mid-height ponytail and secure with an elastic.
4. Side swept bun: Use a comb to make a deep side part. Gather your hair into a low ponytail behind the ear opposite your part and secure it with an elastic. Wrap the tail of the ponytail up toward the base then under the ponytail, forming a bun. Pierce the bun with a hair stick. Make sure to thread the stick through the elastic before it comes out the other side, in order to hold the bun in place.
5. High volume ponytail: Make a part over the top of your head from ear to ear. Clip the front section out of the way. Tease a two-inch section at the crown of the head to create volume. Unclip the front section and pull it over the teased crown. Gather all the hair into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
6. Knotted bun: Part your hair down the middle. Divide your hair into two pigtails. Twist both pigtails inward and back. Then wrap the twisted sections around each other until they look like rope. Tuck the bottom underneath and secure it with bobby pins.
7. Short twisted chignon: (Works with short hair) Starting from the hairline, take one-inch sections of hair and twist them down and back. Pin each section at the back. Twist all the ends into a chignon at the back of the head.
8. Sleek low bun: (Works with short hair) Apply styling cream or oil to make your hair smooth and shiny. Make a deep, side part on one side of your head. Secure the length of hair into a low ponytail at the back of your head. Twist the ponytail into a tight bun and secure with bobby pins. Finish with a spritz of hairspray to keep down flyaways.