Coloring your hair at home can be a great way to save money on pricey salon bills, especially when you have gray hair that keeps growing back!
However, it’s important to stay safe when you’re working with the chemicals used in hair dye. It’s easy to protect yourself by remembering these handy tips:
- Once you purchase your hair color, perform an allergy and strand test before the actual color application. An allergy test is especially recommended if you know your scalp is sensitive. To do this, mix up a small amount of the color application and swab it on the inside of your wrist or side of your neck. For the strand test, mix a small amount of the dye and apply it to a small strand of hair at the back of your head. Leave the dye on for the amount of time specified in the instructions to make sure it will process correctly on your hair.
- Apply your hair color in a well-ventilated space. Most hair dyes contain chemicals that should not be inhaled directly, so it’s important to have an open window nearby.
- Make sure you have a timer to keep track of how long the dye has been on your hair. Don’t leave the dye on for longer than instructed because it could irritate your scalp and damage your hair. Then, rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly so there’s no dye residue left.
- Read all instructions very carefully. Different brands may have different instructions, so it’s important to read them before applying any color. Skipping or improperly performing a step may result in damaged hair.
- When you apply the hair color, wear the gloves provided with the application. These are meant to protect your hands from the chemicals in the dye and also prevent them from getting stained.
- After you have combined the dye with the developer according to the instructions, apply the color right away. Waiting longer may affect the way the color turns out on your hair.
- Never mix different hair dyes on your own (other than the developer and dye that come in your color application). They may react to each other the wrong way and create a harmful mixture that will damage your scalp and hair.
A home coloring solution
One great option for at-home color is eSalon.com. It’s a hair dye company that uses your online hair profile for colorists to review and blend a personalized hair color just for you. They take all your hair details into account, like if you have gray hair or if you’ve previously colored your hair, and create a pigment that’s tailored to your needs. Not only that, but the dye contains beneficial ingredients for silky smooth hair and long-lasting color. All that, mailed right to your door for only $25!
Right now, they have a special offer for new customers: Get your first custom color kit for only $9.95 (a 50% savings!), with a full money-back guarantee including shipping (what other company does that?).