Have you ever had trouble coloring those pesky gray strands on your hairline?
“Gray hair has different properties than the rest of your hair, so it can be tricky to get the lush, beautiful color you want,” says master colorist Estelle Baumhauer, Color Director at breakthrough hair color provider eSalon.com.
But don’t worry – Estelle has you covered (and your grays too!) with her salon tips to remember:
Use the best color
- “Look for a warmer color that contains red or golden tones,” says Estelle. “These provide better coverage on gray hair. Plus, cool tones with blue or ash bases may look unflattering.”
- Be careful not to go too dark, because you want to avoid a harsh contrast against your skin. Stay within 1-2 shades of your natural color for the best results, recommends Estelle.
- Use a color with a neutral base. “Neutral colors coat gray hair before adding a color tone over, so you’ll get even, natural results,” Estelle says.
- “Gray hair tends to be dry, which makes it harder to get full, long lasting coverage,” Estelle says. To make it more receptive to color, apply a hydrating hair mask the day before coloring.
- Since gray hair is more resistant to color, you’ll need to use a stronger, permanent application that will fully settle into the hair if you want full coverage.
- Here’s a tip from Estelle: “Apply color to resistant gray areas first, so they have more time to absorb the color and get strong coverage.”
After applying color
- “Use leave-in conditioner regularly,” Estelle adds. “This restores moisture throughout the day, which maintains healthy hair and prevents color from fading.”
- Follow shampoo with a rich, moisturizing conditioner. Water swells the cuticle of the hair, which allows pigment to fade. “A rich conditioner can help preserve color,” says Estelle.
- Gray hair tends to lose its shine. “Keep your color fresh by using an essential oil, such as argan oil, to smooth down strands, boost up the shine, and deposit beneficial nutrients for beautiful hair!” Estelle says.
Get 100% gray coverage and your most flattering hair color match every time with eSalon, which provides personalized hair color made just for you! First time clients can get a full color kit for only $9.95* (50% off!) with a satisfaction guarantee.
Click here to learn more and get in on this special 50% off offer!
*Plus $4.95 s&h Image source information at http://pinterest.com/pin/251849804134288525/